Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Hartford came into being in May 1920 as the Diocesan Bureau of Social Services, which coordinated the work of all Catholic aid organizations in the region.
From the beginning, our organization was responsible for a variety of services and agencies. We had a large foster home care program for children, a strong commitment to unwed parents, and permanent adoptive homes for infants.
Over time, the Diocesan Bureau of Social Services changed its name to Catholic Family Services, in order to more adequately represent its function as providing social services to families and children. After many years as an umbrella and unincorporated agency, it united under one Board of Trustees in 1983 and became Catholic Charities/Catholic Family Services. In 2004, it adopted the name Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Hartford.
Our organization is affiliated with Catholic Charities USA, the largest private network of social service organizations in the United States.